How to do a good Cover Letter
Cover Letter Template
- No more than ¾ of a page
- First part – Confirm you are interested in applying for the position of XXXXXXX
- Indicate your knowledge of the company/interest in working for them/role etc.
Here you are indicating your knowledge of the company, an interest in working for them, an interest in this specific role and demonstrating some passion.
Microsoft is a globally recognised and highly reputable company who empower people and organisations to achieve more and who I have been following for some time and waiting for an opportunity to work with. This role provides that perfect opportunity for me and I am very interested in being considered for it.
- Indicate you have all the skills, experience and qualifications for the role and provide two compelling examples (ensure the two examples match two of the key requirements of the Job Spec).
As you can see from my attached CV, I have all the skills and requirements for this exciting role including:
- Building Customer Relationships – When I worked in Apple, I consistently grew our customer portfolio by 30% year on year and I achieved overall annual satisfaction rating from my clients of 99.8%
- Continuous Performance: When I worked in Dell, our supply performance was only 78%, but with the improvements I initiated, it raised to 87% year 1, 94% Year 2, and 98.5% Year 3.
The above is a statement that you have all the skills, experience, and knowledge they require (as per job spec) and they will find it on your CV. You have also given two compelling examples (which match two key requirements of the job spec).
- Finish off by re-emphasising your keen interest in the role, welcoming an opportunity to discuss your suitability further and looking forward to hearing from them
I am very interested in this role as I feel I can make a significant contribution and I would very much welcome an opportunity to discuss my suitability further with you.
I look forward to hearing from you and I thank you for your consideration.